The best butane torch can be one of the most reliable and useful tools you could ever own. You’ll never run out of ways to use it. The best butane torch lighter can be used for a variety of applications, from light duty home projects to cooking mouthwatering dishes. Consumer butane torches can blast flames with temperatures of up to 1430 degrees Celsius, enough to melt common metals like aluminum and copper. What makes a butane torch even more intriguing is that it is very easy to use. You don’t really need to be a pro to be able to use it for your home cooking. But it does help to know how to safely use this handy tool.
- 1 Why You Need a Butane Torch
- 2 Butane Torch Brands in the Market
- 3 Things to Consider Before Buying a Butane Torch
- 4 Our Pick For Best Butane Torch
- 5 Short Review Of Each Best Butane Torch
- 6 Accessories for Butane Torch
- 7 How to Use a Butane Torch
- 8 How to Refill Butane Torch
- 9 Usage Tips
- 10 Frequently Asked Questions
- 11 For Those Of You Who Are Still Unsure
- 12 Final Word
Why You Need a Butane Torch
There are many applications of a butane torch that make them very much in demand in the market. Among these are:
Culinary: The best butane torch is usually considered a kitchen gadget that serves a variety of purposes. It can be used for caramelizing sugar atop creme Brulee, melting cheese, and glazing a baked ham. You can even use it for grilling seafood, toasting bread, and even throwing an s’more party.
Jewelry making: A butane torch is very handy for soldering earrings, jump rings, and small links.
Small repairs: You can use a butane torch for soldering electronics, welding, rope cutting, and shrinking. It can also be used for other repair jobs around the house like defrosting and thawing frozen water pipes, paint stripping, and other plumbing work.
Butane Torch Brands in the Market
Blazer: The company has been around for more than three decades. It is known for its high quality professional and industrial tools. Based in Farmingdale, NY, it is also trusted for its well-designed butane torches.
LiBa: This brand is into the production of butane torches for culinary use. It usually gives a long, three-year warranty on its torches. Its butane torches are highly in demand among chefs and aspiring cooks.
SE: This company produces superior quality home improvement tools and accessories. Its butane torches are known to have advanced features such as thumb release lock mechanism, removable base, and built-in ignition system.
Newport: Another popular brand, Newport torches are known for being durable and affordable. Their butane torches are often packed with useful features such as adjustable gas flow setting, hands-free attachment, and piezo lighting for quick ignition.
Dremel: Its butane torches are known for being well-built and durable. Most of its products are backed by a two-year warranty. Dremel butane torches are quick to start up/ignite, with a detachable base allowing hands-free operation.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Butane Torch
Whether you have never used a butane torch before or you’ve had some experience in using it, you may want to look for the following things when buying a butane torch:
Instant on/off ignition: The best butane torch lighter can be easily ignited and extinguished with the simple press of a button. An instant on/off ignition is highly convenient and useful for new torch users.
Flame adjustment: The best butane torch lighter has a flame adjustment switch or lever that will give you complete control over how big you want the flame to be.
Safety lock: The best butane torch lighter must have a safety lock. For inexperienced users, this feature is particularly useful as it prevents accidental activation of the torch. It is also ideal for users who have small children in the household.
Versatility: The best butane torch lighter is versatile enough to be used for culinary applications, welding, soldering, brazing, and camping fire.
Design: Look for the best butane torch lighter that has a lightweight design, with an ergonomically designed handle.
Our Pick For Best Butane Torch
Let’s takes a look at our best pick.
Short Review Of Each Best Butane Torch
Here is the short review of all the best butane torch that we selected for you.
1. Blazer GT8000 Big Shot Butane Torch
Many satisfied owners call this the best butane torch right now. And you can’t blame them, as it has a host of impressive features from its anti-flare nozzle, piezoelectric ignition, and maximum flame temperature of 2,500 degrees Fahrenheit. It can blast a beastly flame every time, capable of handling creme brulee to titanium. It’s that impressive.
- Has a continuous burn time of approximately 35 minutes
- 35-gram gas capacity
- Flame length ranges from 1.25 to 5 inches
- Dimensions: 7.5 (l) x 5.25 (w) x 2.0 (d) inches
- Weight 12.0 ounces
- Blows an extremely hot flame, can get your material hot in no time.
- Very responsive with every pull of the ignition.
- It is very fuel efficient.
- Noise levels are tolerable ; not too loud to cause disturbance in the shop.
- It still gives a decent flame until it is completely empty.
- Highly recommended to beginners doing small projects.
- Has a manual lock which serves as a safety feature when not in use.
- Has a nice black body finish.
- Home use of this product is banned per federal regulations; strictly for professional and industrial use.
- Standard butane canister is sold separately.
Summary of Customer Reviews:
Many customers say this is the best butane torch right now, citing its performance and build quality. One reviewer said that he is using it almost two years and it has worked flawlessly the entire time. Most of the customers satisfied with its quality and it is well worth the money. Some customers also suggest that you don’t need to find another butane torch in the market. Just bring this torch and use it. Hope you are not disappointed with this torch. After reading the customer reviews we have no doubt to choice this for our top list.
2. LiBa Kitchen Butane Culinary Torch for CremeBrulee and Food
This is a professional, culinary torch that pros and aspiring chefs would want to have in their kitchens. LiBa equipped this torch with an extended angled nozzle which should keep your hands away from the flame. It also has several safety features like safety lock and anti-flare technology for worry-free operation. Others like that there’s a fuel gauge so they don’t get caught with an empty unit. This is indeed a great kitchen companion for caramelizing creme Brulees, searing steaks, and glazing hams, among others.
- Maximum flame temperature of 2,730 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Dimensions 4.5 x 6 x 2 inches.
- Weighs 11 ounces.
- 3 years warranty.
- Very easy to use.
- Made of high quality metal that is built to last.
- It can burn up to 60 minutes.
- It is relatively lightweight even when filled with fuel; thus you should not be experiencing hand fatigue even if you use it for hours.
- The fuel gauge window tells you when to refill the fuel tank.
- A red dial on the back of the torch can be easily accessed for adjusting the flame.
- You have to buy your own fuel.
- The little black base can easily tip over.
Summary of Customer Reviews:
Most users also say this is the best butane torch because it is easy to use and well-designed. One reviewer said that it works perfectly, easily controllable flame, igniter lights every time, easy to fill, stands securely in the removable bottom holder until it cools. Some of them identified it as a impressive Culinary Torch. Many customer also amazed with its adjustable flame. Most of the customers gave it a positive rating and feedback. And after reading most of the reviews we realize that they are not wrong.
3. Culinary Prestige- Culinary Butane Torch
Another front runner for the best butane torch award is this user-friendly culinary butane torch from Culinary Prestige. It has adjustable controls with a durable and leak-proof design. Its removable base and non-slip grip ensures comfortable control. And this isn’t just a butane torch for kitchen use as you can also use it for soldering, welding and working on your various DIY projects.
- Dimensions: 5.7 x 5.3 x 1.5 inches
- Weight: 7.2 ounces.
- Heats up to 1300°C/2370°F
- No questions asked satisfaction guaranteed.
- Very small and thus easy to maneuver.
- The safety switch prevents children from playing with it and potentially causing harm.
- Very easy to use; ideal for neophyte cooks experimenting with various dishes.
- It has a nice stand allowing users to pick it up very quickly and conveniently.
- Has the option to lock the flame.
- Because it is small, it may not be appropriate for larger projects like a large cake to melt sugar on.
Summary of Customer Reviews:
According to those who say that this is the best butane torch, this unit is compact enough for those small kitchen tasks. It can also come in handy for some soldering or welding jobs, although don’t expect it to give a torch for an extended period. Most customers said that is so easy to use and the stand is well designed so they don’t have to worry about burning anything in between uses. They also said it is easy to refill. Although some customers claim that the flame is not so strong but it is very much usable without any trouble.
4. Blazer GB2001 Self-Igniting Butane Micro-Torch
One of the first things you will notice about this micro-torch is its excellent design. With bits of rubber, the micro torch is shaped like a diamond so it is really easy to grip and hold. Its nozzle head emits a precise flame that’s useful for soldering, culinary, plumbing, and brazing, among others. And Blazer says this unit offers a longer burn time compared to its other well-rated micro torch products.
- Dimensions: 6.0 (l) x 3.0 (w) x 2.5 (d) inches.
- Weight 6.8 ounces.
- Maximum flame temperature of 2,500°F
- 26-gram gas capacity.
- Burn time of approximately 1.5 to 2.0 hours.
- Torch head has a 90-degree fixed angle.
- Its flame range is 0.5 to 1.25 inches.
- It has an attachable, stable tabletop stand for hands-free use.
- It has a self igniting start, which makes it very user-friendly.
- The flame is very easy to adjust; from a full blast to a more gentler flame.
- It is relatively small and thus portable.
- It takes only a few seconds to refill it, with very little leakage.
- The ignition could start to fail after a year or so of use.
Summary of Customer Reviews:
Why is this the best butane torch for some users? Aside from the well-designed body, it gets good scores for its portability and ease of use. It also doesn’t hurt that it comes from arguably the best maker of butane torches. Most of the customers give it a positive rating and review. One of the customers said it is great little torch, very nice quality and fine flame control and he would highly recommend this little torch.
5. Vie De Chef Culinary Butane Torch
This is a butane torch that as its name indicates is designed for chefs and amateur cooks. It has an innovative body designed to reduce hand and wrist fatigue. It also has an anti-flare technology and safety lock so you can use this without worrying about your safety. Its adjustable temperature regulator, on the other hand, gives the user superior control on the size of flame he wants. It has a burning time of up to 60 minutes per tank.
- Dimensions: 7.5 x 5.5 x 3 inches
- Weight 12.8 ounces
- Maximum flame temperature of 1500° C / 2730° F
- Burn time up to 1 hour
- It is very easy to use; you can use it right out of the box.
- Adjustable temperature regulator lets you choose size of flame depending on the task.
- Backed with a lifetime warranty and worry-free, money-back guarantee.
- It has a nice aluminum black finish.
- It is very light and thus easy to manuever.
- The on/off switch isn’t really for turning on the device; it is more for locking/unlocking the trigger.
Summary of Customer Reviews:
Those who say that this is the best butane torch for chefs and aspiring cooks point out the excellent design of the torch. They say it is easy to hold on to and maneuver. They also like that it is backed by a lifetime warranty by its maker. One reviewer said that he is very impressed by how easy it is to use. He is recommended this to all his friends. Although some of the customers put negative reviews but against it other customers said maybe they are not making it usable properly. That’s why they put the negative reviews.
Accessories for Butane Torch
You will also need the following accessories for your butane torch:
You should also stock up on some essential accessories regardless of the butane torch that you bought. One would be a set of butane refill, which is for filling your butane torches. Remember that most butane torches or lighters don’t come filled so you really need to buy a butane refill.
Look for premium grade butane refill, one which won’t clog your tool with grime and dirt. Buying butane refill at bargain prices may backfire on you because it could affect the performance of your butane torch.
We see that lot of peoples buy the Zippo Butane Fuel and it gets a lot of positive reviews and ratings. But you may wonder why we remove it from our list? The reason is, it is not triple refined. Experts suggest to use triple refined butane refill for you butane torch. It helps to use your butane torch long time.
How to Use a Butane Torch
- Switch on the unit by sliding the gas flow control to the right. This lever is usually located on the side.
- You’ll hear gas blowing out with a hiss.
- Press the ignition button to produce the flame. The ignition button is usually the biggest or most prominent in the unit. It is usually housed in the handle of the unit.
- Depending on the unit, you may have to engage the safety switch first before pressing the ignition button. The safety switch prevents production of flame when the ignition button is accidentally pressed.
- You can change the size of the flame by adjusting the thermal output. Depending on the butane torch, you can adjust the thermal output by sliding the lever to the right, or by turning the knob counterclockwise to the left.
- Some units have a small knob or button that you can turn/press to sustain the flame even if you stop pressing the ignition button.
- Turn off the unit by sliding back the gas flow control lever to the left.
How to Refill Butane Torch
Refilling butane torch is equally easy. To do so:
- Make sure that the butane torch is switched off. You can even lock the safety switch to ensure it won’t produce any flame.
- Check, too, the gas flow control and make sure that it is turned off.
- Turn the unit upside down and look for the refill nozzle, a metal containing a small, cylindrical component.
- Shake the butane refill to warm up the gas.
- Clutch the butane gas refill and place it in straight alignment with the torch’s nipple.
- Insert the tip of the butane refill into the nozzle then push it.
- The pressure should immediately trigger the flow of fuel into the nozzle.
- You’ll know that the torch is full when there’s a big, wet spray back.
- Remove the butane can from the torch.
- Wait for at least five minutes before starting to use the torch again.
Here are some tips to remember when using a butane torch:
- Always wear safety glasses to protect your eyes. Using prescription safety glasses is recommended if you wear regular glasses.
- Wear clothes made of natural fiber like cotton. Avoid wearing clothes made of synthetic fabric as these can easily burn when hot stuff from the torch fall on them.
- Work in an open area. A room with a door or window that you can open to increase ventilation should also be a good place to work in.
- Always have a fire extinguisher nearby.
- Different sizes of flame and tips are ideal for various jobs. Usually, a smaller flame is ideal for works like caramelizing a small design in sugar on top of a cake. But a larger flame is needed for works like browning a steak, or enameling large pieces of pottery.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can you use a butane torch for heavy duty applications like hardening steel and other metalworking tasks?
Answer: No, a butane torch won’t be enough for these heavy duty tasks. You may need to use a blow torch for such projects.
2. Do you need a screwdriver to open and refill the torch?
Answer: In most butane torch models, you don’t need a screwdriver to insert the butane nozzle.
3. Why are butane torches shipped empty or without butane?
Answer: In most cases, postal authorities consider butane torches and lighters as hazardous items and thus dangerous to be shipped especially when filled with butane gas.
4. How do you dispose empty butane refill cans?
Answer: You must empty the canister first before disposing it. You can then puncture it so that it can be crushed at a recycling center.
5. How to dispose old butane lighters?
Answer: Don’t throw the old butane torch in a trash. Instead, secure it in a tightly sealed bag to prevent leakage. Contact your local waste management and inquire about the right butane lighter disposal in your area.
For Those Of You Who Are Still Unsure
If you are still not sure on which butane torch unit to get, then choose between these two butane torches: the Blazer GT8000 Big Shot Butane Torch and the LiBa Kitchen Butane Culinary Torch for Creme Brulee and Food.
These butane torches are considered the best in the market today. The Blazer GT8000, for instance, has the qualities you expect from the best butane torch. Many users say its anti-flare nozzle, attachable tabletop base, and gas flow adjustment dial are all great features. The unit is very responsive and fuel efficient as well. The LiBa butane torch, meanwhile, gets good reviews because of its good built quality and design.
There’s no denying that the best butane torch lighter can be one of the most valuable additions to your tool box. You can do a lot of things with it, from making mouthwatering dishes to doing simple repair jobs at home. Yes, you don’t really need to be a jeweler to find something to do with a butane torch.
You will also find a butane torch very easy to use. Plus they’re reasonably priced. Indeed, there are many reasons why you should consider getting a butane torch now.