You don’t need to be a professional electrician or plumber to be interested in reading the best tool bag review or even in buying the best tool bag. Homeowners will appreciate having a good tool bag around to keep his tools organized. It not only makes storage of special tools easy and convenient, but it can also save time because you don’t need to go back and forth to your tool box when working on a DIY project.
- 1 Why You Need a Tool Bag
- 2 Advantage of tool bag
- 3 Tool Bag Brands in the Market
- 4 Things to Consider Before Buying a Tool Bag
- 5 Our Pick For Best Tool Bag
- 6 Short Review Of Each Best Tool Bag
- 6.1 1. Custom LeatherCraft 1539 18 Multi-Compartment Tool Carrier
- 6.2 2. DEWALT DG5543 16-Inch Tradesman’s Tool Bag
- 6.3 3. Custom LeatherCraft 1528 23 Pocket Large Electrical and Maintenance Tool Carrier
- 6.4 4. Snap-On 870340 Trunk Organizer and Tool Bag, 19-Inch
- 6.5 5. Stanley STST70574 12-Inch Soft Sided Tool Bag
- 7 Accessories for Tool Bag
- 8 How to Take Good Care of Your Tool Bag
- 9 Frequently Asked Questions
- 10 For Those Of You Who Are Still Unsure
- 11 Final Word
Why You Need a Tool Bag
If you only have a handful of tools at home like a hammer and a screwdriver, then perhaps you don’t need to get a tool bag. But if you’ve amassed a good number of tools like pliers, socket wrench, level, and crowbar, among others, then you certainly need one. After all, getting all those tools would have cost you a significant amount of money and it only makes sense to keep them safe.
Also, having a tool bag gives you quick and easy access to your tools whenever you need them. You can actually keep all your tools in the tool bag, eliminating the need for bringing a tool box when you need to bring your tools to another location. It’s very portable.
Advantage of tool bag
All the tools in a box: You can keep all the tools in a tool bag. No need to hurry while finding a tool anymore.
Carrying tools become easier: You can carry all your tools everywhere you want with this tool bag.
Safeguard of the tools: It works like a safeguard of the tools by preventing it from direct air and water contact.
Professional use: It can also use for the professional usage. It is designed in such a way that it can be used for anything you need.
Tool Bag Brands in the Market
You can trust the following brands for making high-quality tool bags:
Craftsman: Perhaps the most recognizable brand when it comes to tool bags, Craftsman has been around for a long time. The company was established in 1927 and has more than 6,000 products under its label. It is well-trusted by professionals, DIYers, and weekend warriors.
Custom Leathercraft: Its tool bags are not only well designed but also strong and durable. Many DIYers also love that its tool bags are comfy to hold and carry around.
Stanley: This is another brand that you can trust. Its tool bags are designed for soft storage, with most of them having comfy handle grips and padded shoulder straps.
Husky: This is a brand known for its affordable but good quality tool bags, belts, and accessories.
Snap-on: This is another top rated brand known for its durable tool bags. Snap On is also noted for having easy-to-handle tool bags.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Tool Bag
This tool bag review will also help you choose the best tool bag by giving you a list of factors that you need to take into consideration.
Material: Strong bags can be made of canvas, nylon, and poly fabric, among others. Nylon and canvas are the most commonly used. In choosing the best tool bag, you must get one which has a durable and sturdy material so that the bag can withstand the weight of tools. Simply put, the stronger the material of the tool bag, the more likely it will last for a long time.
Zippers: The best tool bag should have heavy duty zippers. The last thing you want to happen is the zipper breaking off, making it impossible to close the bag and rendering it useless. You should look for heavy duty zippers that are also double-pull.
Multiple pockets: Tools come in different sizes. There are big tools like hammer and power drill, while there are smaller tools like screwdrivers. Thus the best tool bag should have multiple pockets so you can store various tools.
Padding on the bottom: One way to avoid the wear and tear off tool bags is to have a feet or pad on the bottom. The best tool bag is one that has a thick padding or feet. This can protect the tools against wet and dirty surfaces.
Padded shoulder strap: Carrying a bag of tools made primarily of steel can strain your shoulders. Thus you should get a tool bag with padded shoulder strap. It can help support the tool bag’s weight as well.
Wheeled bags: If you have really big tools that carrying those tools can be very dangerous and tiring, then you might want to look for a tool bag with wheels. Having a tool bag with wheels can help you move the bag from one place to another without tiring you.
Padded, textured handles: Another feature of the best tool bag is textured and padded handles. This can make it a lot easier for you to handle the bag even for an extended period.
Wide-mouth opening: The best tool bag has a wide mouth opening so it will be a lot easier for you to load and unload your tools.
Zippered compartments: If you have small items that are prone to be misplaced, then having a tool bag with zippered compartments is ideal for you.
How many tools it can carry: You should consider the fact that how many tools you.want to carry with it. Then choose the convenient one for you.
Hooks and clips: Check that all hooks and clips are the quality ones and they are attached well to the bag.
Our Pick For Best Tool Bag
This best tool bag review gives you a rundown of five top rated tool bags on Amazon.com. Let’s take a look at our best pick.
Short Review Of Each Best Tool Bag
Here is the short review of all the best tool bag that we selected for you. These reviews definitely help you to choice the best tool bag that is best suited for you.
1. Custom LeatherCraft 1539 18 Multi-Compartment Tool Carrier
This is a large, multi-compartment tool carrier that could be the storage and handling solution for your tools. It has enough space for various tools, parts, and accessories. It measures 18 inches long, 7 inches wide, and 14 inches tool. There are 7 exterior pockets with heavy duty and double-pull zippers closing the main compartments. It is made of durable poly fabric with a padded and adjustable shoulder strap. The handles are padded as well.
- Weight 7lbs.
- Built from top grain leathers and rugged polyester fabric.
- 54 pockets inside and 4 pockets outside to organize tools and accessories.
- Large center compartment to carry power tools and accessories.
- 2 separate outside compartments.
- Zippered side panels prevent spillage of tools when carrying or storing carrier.
- Vertical tool pockets keep them in sight for quick access.
- The zippers are well-stitches, with tightly interlocking teeth.
- High lift capacity of more than 200 pounds.
- The middle compartment has enough space for big tools like hammer, hacksaw, and long screwdrivers.
- Two compartments on the sides have individual pockets that can keep tools organized and very easy to find.
- High quality construction/build, with double stitching in all parts.
- It is not waterproof or water resistant.
- The heavy duty zippers skip teeth at times , especially when turning corners on the bag.
Summary of Customer Reviews:
Most users agree that this is one of the top rated tool bags today. It is large and thus spacious enough to hold most tools. Most of the customers are surprised with its great construction quality. They said the bag is well built as well as solid to carry a lot of tools. It’s not surprising that it gets a lot of good reviews on the online store.
2. DEWALT DG5543 16-Inch Tradesman’s Tool Bag
This best tool bag has 14 interior pockets where you can store your tools. There’s also one zippered pocket inside. It has a heavy duty, double-pull zipper that can withstand abuse. It is also made of superior quality poly and ballistic poly fabric. And there are four base pads that protect the bottom of the bag against water and dirt. This bag has a pop open design that lets you easily access your tools.
- Weight 3.6lbs.
- 13-Interior pockets including one zippered pocket to secure valuables.
- 20-Exterior pockets allow for hundreds of organization options.
- One flap-covered pocket with hook and loop closure.
- Adjustable shoulder strap.
- It has a large mouth opening that allows easy access to the tools inside it.
- It has a large interior compartment that can store various tools.
- Very durable with its ballistic poly fabric construction. The material is stronger than most fabrics and is flexible to the touch.
- It has 13 pockets inside, including one zippered pocket, for securing valuables.
- It has bottom base pads for improved wear resistance.
- Its adjustable, non-slip padded shoulder strap make the tool bag easy to carry around.
- All the pockets are of the same size.
- No large pocket where you can put paper manuals and other accessories.
Summary of Customer Reviews:
Online customers are in consensus that this is one of the top rated tool bags. They like that it has a large mouth opening and many pockets inside. The shoulder strap makes the bag very easy to handle, while the bottom base pads can protect it from wet and dirty conditions. Customers impression of this bag was very impressive. The quality and stitching were above their expectations considering the price point. They said the carrying handles are comfortable and well built as well as the adjustable shoulder strap that is removable.
3. Custom LeatherCraft 1528 23 Pocket Large Electrical and Maintenance Tool Carrier
This is a tool bag designed for electricians, installers, and repair technicians, but even handymen will find it useful. It has a dedicated parts tray where smaller parts and tools can be stored. Its handle and shoulder strap are both padded and textured, so you will have an easier time holding and carrying it. It measures 11 inches long, 10 inches wide, and 18 inches tall. It has a total of 9 main-compartment pockets, as well as 15 exterior pockets that giving you lots of options when it comes to storing your tools.
- Made by durable 600D polyester fabric.
- Dimensions 11″L x 10″W x 19″H.
- Weight 5lbs.
- 11-inch by 6-inch Multi-compartment plastic tray included that slides securely into bottom of tool carrier organizes small parts.
- 16 Multi-use outside pockets and 7 inside to organize a wide range of tools and accessories.
- Box shaped design prevents tipping.
- Heavy duty stitching.
- Extra padded carrying handle and adjustable shoulder strap.
- Electrical tape strap.
- Large main divided pockets with elastic loops to accommodate large tools.
- Very sturdy and stable thanks to its large, flat base.
- Its base prevents it from tipping over even when you add or remove tools.
- It has a small mesh pocket on the outside that makes it easy and quick to identify contents.
- It is strong and durable as it is made of heavy duty poly fabric.
- It has a lot of compartments (24) where you can place your tools.
- This is one of the most expensive in the list.
- Material around the handle can wear out eventually.
Summary of Customer Reviews:
Many users agree that this is one of the top rated tool bags in the market. They are in consensus that it has a spacious interior, with a lot of pockets for storage. Many customers are impressed with its super cool looks and they are very happy with the design and performance of this tool bag. But very few customers are unhappy with the strap but this is not a deal breaker.
4. Snap-On 870340 Trunk Organizer and Tool Bag, 19-Inch
This is one of the biggest tool bags in this list. It measures 19 inches long, 12 inches wide and 15.5 inches tall. It has a main compartment with two movable dividers, 4 exterior pockets and 14 interior storage sleeves. Despite its size, it will be easy to carry around with its padded handles and shoulder strap. The large mouth opening will also make it easier for you to load or unload your tools.
- Made by water-resistant 600 denier polyester.
- Weight 3lbs.
- leak-resistant bottom panel.
- black/red nylon webbing and red piping on exterior of bag and padded outside walls.
- Snap-On Official Licensed Product.
- The solid base ensures that it can hold on to your tools very well.
- It folds flat, so you can wrap it easily if you are to give it as a gift.
- There is a velcro under the base allowing you to stick to fabric in the compartment.
- The bottom is also non-skid, thus it won’t slide when in a moving vehicle.
- There are dividers inside the main compartment for more storage options.
- The tool pockets are somewhat shallow or small.
- There are no pouches on the outside.
Summary of Customer Reviews:
Snap-On is a popular brand of high end tools and accessories, so it is not surprising that this tool bag is well-rated. Many reviewers on online say it is really big and thus can hold a lot of tools. They said it is very useful for the trunk and and has lots of pockets to keep everything organized. One reviewer said even a set of battery powered tools like drill, impact, angle grinder. etc are carried by this bag easily.
5. Stanley STST70574 12-Inch Soft Sided Tool Bag
This is a smaller tool bag that may just be what you need for storage and handling your tools. It has an adjustable strap for convenient carriage of tools, and comfortable, cotton-padded handle for easy handling. Its bottom is dominated by a rubberized foam that keeps it sturdy while protecting the tools inside the bag. It also has an outer mesh pocket that is ideal for storing small tools and accessories. This bag measures 11.9 inches long, 5.1 inches wide, and 9.9 inches tall.
- Made by durable 600 x 600 denier polyester fabric.
- Weight 1.46 lbs.
- Total 9 Pockets.
- Because of its small size, this is the ideal tool bag for the regular handyman.
- It had side pockets on both the exterior and interior.
- Has a couple of rods along the inner top edge to add to the overall sturdiness.
- Zipper and Velcro strap are very sturdy.
- It folds flat, just in case you want it to be wrapped as a gift.
- Reflective material on the outer sides.
- Relatively small compared to other tool bags in this list.
- The shoulder strap is a bit short.
Summary of Customer Reviews:
This may not be the biggest in our list of the top rated tool bags but it should be enough for handymen who often find themselves working on small DIY projects at home. Many users say this bag is very sturdy and you’d be amazed with how many tools you can fit in there. Another user said it is very easy to carry around and doesn’t weight too much when it’s empty. Most of the customers are happy with this bag as they get premium quality by spending a few bucks.
Accessories for Tool Bag
You will also find the following accessories for tool bag very useful:
KLOUD City Black Nylon Multi-Purpose 22-Pocket Socket Tool Roll Pouch
If you have small tools or accessories like pliers and screwdrivers that you want to be stored separately on your tool bag, get this 22-pocket roll pouch. It is made of sturdy nylon and has two strap closure that fastens the pouch when not in use.
McGuire Nicholas 31001 3 Small Bags
This is another accessory where you can put accessories like cables, pliers, and even your phone. It has a large opening with easy glide zipper for easy access, and a carbine clip that keeps all three bags close to each other.
Custom LeatherCraft 1173 32-Pocket Socket Tool Roll Pouch
This is another tool bag accessory which you can use for storing sockets, a couple of wrenches, and screwdrivers, among others. It has straps that are long enough so you can put small tools inside.
Klein Tools 5189 Tradesman Pro Organizer Hard Case
If you need another handy organizer for your small tools, volt meter, and electronic equipment, then this Klein Tools pro organizer should be on your shopping list. It has a hard shell that protects your small tools with a soft interior lining.
Klein Tools 5139B 12-1/2-Inch Cordura Ballistic Nylon Zipper Bag
This is another accessory that you can use for storing small items such as screwdrivers, wrenches, and pliers, among others. It is made of nylon that is resistant to tear and scuffs. It has a heavy duty zipper.
How to Take Good Care of Your Tool Bag
Even if you have the best tool bag in the world, you can’t still be assured of its durability if you don’t know how to take good care of it. Here are some tips to ensure that you can use your tool bag for a long time:
- Check the bag first before use. Inspect the bag for any sign of damage, particularly the threads and webbing on the straps of the bag.
- Check zippers regularly. The zipper must be able to zip and unzip easily. If it starts to ‘catch’ then you can lubricate it with silicone spray.
- Use it within its recommended weight limits. Don’t put too much tool in the bag to the point that it will exceed its safe working load limit.
- Use warm, soapy water in cleaning your bag. Avoid using bleach and other harmful chemicals.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are tool bags water proof or water resistant?
Answer: Yes, there are tool bags that are water proof. Materials like polyester and nylon can be designed to resist water and protect the tools inside it.
2. Can shoulder straps be removed/replaced?
Answer: Yes, most of the tool bags have removable or replaceable shoulder straps.
3. Does having more pockets make a tool bag a good buy?
Answer: It really depends on your tools. If you have a lot of tools to store, then a tool bag with more pockets is recommended.
4. What’s the purpose of web loops in compartments?
Answer: It allows storage/accommodation of larger hand tools.
5. Are zippered compartments ideal for tool bags?
Answer: If you have valuable that can be easily lost, then you would want a tool bag with zippered compartment. Aside from storing smaller tools like screwdrivers you can keep your keys, phone, and even money in a zippered compartment.
For Those Of You Who Are Still Unsure
If you’re still unsure on which tool bag to buy, we recommend the two products:
Custom LeatherCraft 1539 18 Multi-Compartment Tool Carrier and DEWALT DG5543 16-Inch Tradesman’s Tool Bag.
These bags are highly recommended for being durable and well designed. These are also very spacious so you should be able to squeeze in all your tools, from the big ones like hammer to the small ones like screwdrivers.
Tool bags aren’t only recommended for professionals and contractors. Even a handyman or weekend warrior will find a tool bag a good addition to his gear.
Investing in a tool bag is very much recommended especially if you have accumulated a substantial number of hand tools. A tool bag may also be considered as a handy replacement to a tool box, and perhaps more importantly, it lets you carry your tools around.