Reading the best vacuum pump reviews is necessary if you want to get maximum value for your money. All brands claim to offer the best vacuum pump, but you just can’t take their word for it. I know that vacuum pumps can be a considerable investment, so I created this list to save you time and money.
I have spent enough time working with vacuum pumps to know which ones are the best. I have also prepared a detailed guide for vacuum pumps. If you want to check things out for yourself, the info here can help.
- 1 Why need a Vacuum Pump
- 2 Advantages of the Vacuum Pump
- 3 Things To Consider Before Buying a Vacuum Pump
- 4 Our Pick For Best Vacuum Pump
- 5 Short Review Of Best Vacuum Pump
- 6 How to Use a Bench Grinder
- 7 Accessories of Vacuum pump
- 8 Safety & Maintenance Tips
- 9 Frequently Asked Questions
- 10 My Recommendations
- 11 Final Words
Why need a Vacuum Pump
The best vacuum pump has many uses, but basically what it does is maintain system pressure. A few examples of how you can use this device:
- HVAC: Vacuum pumps are often used to repair HVAC or A/C systems. They are in fact used by professional technicians.
- Sewerage Systems: Vacuum pumps are also used in some sewer systems to keep pressure levels stable.
- Freeze Drying: Heat and vacuum pumps are used in combination so the water in frozen foods can bypass the liquid state and go from solid to gas immediately. This is often used when food has to be shipped long distances.
- Vacuum pumps are also used on vehicle engines. High performance engines will benefit from the vacuum pump because it helps clean oil and extend engine life.
- Medical Applications: There are many types of vacuum pumps used in medical procedures where suction is needed. Radiosurgery and radiotherapy are just some of the processes wherein vacuum pumps are required.
- Coating: Vacuum pumps are often utilized for coating, i.e. coating of glass and other ornaments. A special type of vacuum is used on race car engines.
- Flight Controls: Vacuum pumps are used to power some flight equipment.
Advantages of the Vacuum Pump
- The best vacuum pump is a versatile tool that can be used in various applications like those mentioned above.
- Powerful: Vacuum pumps are equipped with a powerful motor. This leads to quicker and more effective operation. Furthermore they are also designed to vacuum at a more potent level.
- Portable: Vacuum pumps are portable, which makes them easier to carry around. However, this does not mean they are poorly made. On the contrary vacuum pumps today are made from solid but lightweight materials.
- Easy Operation: Vacuum pumps are easier than ever to use, but have more power.
Things To Consider Before Buying a Vacuum Pump
CFM: When looking for the best vacuum pump, check the CFM, or cubic feet per minute. The CFM tells you the vacuum flow speed, and it determines how quickly you can get air out of a refrigeration system or a tank. CFM ranges from 1.5 to 11.
Micron Rating: The lower the micron rating the better. A good vacuum pump pulls 75 microns, while others can go as low as 50 or less. A 5 CFM vacuum pump can reach 35 to 25 microns. That level is good enough for A/C work.
Sizable diameter: Look for a vacuum pump that has a sizable diameter so it’s easy to fill it up with oil. This also reduces the possibility of making a mess.
Easy to Read Sight Glass: The sight glass should help you determine if the pump is already full of oil.
Well-Designed Oil Plug: The vacuum pump’s oil plug must have a sizable opening. This is necessary to facilitate oil drainage. The bigger the opening, the more convenient it will be for you.
Vacuum Gauge Indicator: You will also want a vacuum gauge indicator as it will give you a good view as the vacuum is drawn.
Gas ballast valve: Some vacuum pumps also have a gas ballast valve. When this valve is opened, some air gets through the pump. This assists in exhausting water vapor rather than getting fused with pump oil. This is particularly useful during the early evacuation level.
Isolation valve: An isolation valve makes it easy to shut the unit off. You can also use this for pump refilling or oil draining. With this feature you’ll have an easier time managing oil.
Exhaust filling: An exhaust filling that is compatible with attachment for garden hoses allows for outer venting. This is a vital feature when working indoors.
Our Pick For Best Vacuum Pump
We made a short list of 5 best vacuum pump for you. Let’s take a look at our best pick.
[amazon box=”B002P60ZZC,B001876XYG,B00LH7Z942,B015EUKKMS,B0040XF2RE” grid=”5″]
Short Review Of Best Vacuum Pump
Here is the short review of each best vacuum pump that we selected for you.
1. Robinair (15500) VacuMaster Economy Vacuum Pump – 2-Stage, 5 CFM
The Robinair VacuMaster is one of the best vacuum pump today. I like the CFM rating, as it is good enough for multiple applications. Also, the two-stage design is superior to the standard single stage pump. You will also like its aluminum housing, and the motor is really powerful.
- Voltage: 115V, 60 Hz.
- Two Stage Design.
- Heavy Duty Motor – 1/3 H.P.
- New Aluminum Reservoir Design.
- Brass intake valve with 1/4″ and 3/8″ Flare and 1/2″ Acme adapters complete with tethered caps.
- Quick Oil Changes.
- Oil capacity: 7.5 ounces (220 ml)
- Easy View Sight Glass.
- Heavy duty motor.
- Solid housing.
- Adding oil is easy.
- Can be used for various applications.
- Suitable for indoor use.
- One reviewer said he couldn’t get to work on A/C systems.
- Instructions could have been better written.
Summary of Customer Reviews:
The best vacuum pump reviews for the Robinair have focused on its performance. One 5 star reviewer says it’s perfect for his apartment. Another said the Robinair removes air and gets rid of gas well. There are also more than a couple of reviewers who say they like its quiet operation.
Another customer gave the Robinair 5 stars for its quiet and efficient operation. The reviewer was concerned it might make a lot of noise. However, he says it’s very quiet and solidly built. A customer also published a short review saying the vacuum pump works very well, and these views are shared by a lot of customers.
2. FJC 6912 Vacuum Pump 5.0 Cfm
The 6912 earns a spot in my best vacuum pump because of its ease of use. It’s faster than other vacuum pumps. I also like its 2-stage design, way better than the standard. It’s also capable of taking out non condensation gases and moisture on many systems. Overall it offers real value for your money.
- Single Stage Pump 5 CFM.
- Fitting 1/4 inch MF x 1/2 inch Acme.
- 1/3 HP 1725 RPM.
- 12 ounce oil capacity.
- Has a 75 micron rating.
- Powerful motor and RPMs.
- Makes oil changing easy.
- 2-stage performance.
- Quiet operation.
- Doesn’t have an internal check valve.
- A bit slower than the others.
Summary of Customer Reviews:
Feedback has been very good. One customer said it takes down 365 microns. The customer went as far to say not to even check other pumps as this is the right option. Some of the best vacuum pump reviews have come from professional HVAC techs. They agree the 6912 often performs better than other known brands.
There are also positive reviews from other customers. One customer gave the 6912 the highest rating. He says the pump holds up well. Another customer said the pump is worth every cent and that he’d recommend it.
As these reviews show, this is one of the better vacuum pumps today. It works very well for a number of different services.
3. FJC (6909) 3.0 CFM Vacuum Pump
I consider the 6909 one of the best vacuum pump because even if it’s just a one stage system, its Twin Port design rivals that of 2 stage pumps. Its 3 CFM rating is good for most tasks. You’ll also appreciate its flexibility and that it comes with oil. This is the kind of equipment you’ll need for DIY repairs.
- Two stage performance using Twin-Port Technology.
- Lightning fast design removes moisture and non-condensable gases.
- CFM: 3.0.
- Micron Rating: 75.
- Fitting Size: 1/4 inch MF x 1/2 inch ACME.
- Voltage: 115V, 60 hz.
- Motor: 1/3 HP.
- Motor RPM: 1725.
- Oil Cap. oz: 8.0.
- Weight: 18.56 lb.
- All-around solid performance.
- Lightweight and durable construction.
- Can be used for various services.
- The pump has a long lifespan.
- Handles most home needs.
- Not powerful enough for professional use.
- One review says it cannot pull down enough microns.
Summary of Customer Reviews:
Sentiment has been very much in its favor. Among the best vacuum pump reviews have come from those who do DIY repair. One customer said he used this pump to fix his car AC. Another reviewer also gave it five stars. He was initially skeptical, but was won over by its performance.
Reading the reviews gives you a good idea of how versatile it is. While most use it for repair, one customer says it’s the right tool for his die casting projects. This only goes to show how efficient the 6909 really is.
4. Zeny 3.5CFM Single-Stage 5 Pa Rotary Vane Economy Vacuum Pump
The Zeny has the features you’d want in a vacuum pump, like quiet operation and an oil sight glass. A bottle of oil is included, and I like how its cooling fan works. The best vacuum pump is made from high quality aluminum alloy so it’s going to last. I also have to add the drive motor allows for easy starting.
- Inlet Port: 1/4″ Flare.
- Voltage /Frequency: 110V/60Hz.
- Flow Rate: VP125: 3.5 CFM(100L/MIN).
- Ultimate Vacuum: 5 Pa (0.05mbar).
- Power: 1/4HP.
- Inlet Port: 1/4″ Flare.
- Oil Capacity:320 ml.
- Reliable performance.
- Nonslip cushion handle.
- Consistent flow rate.
- ON/OFF Switch.
- Good for the weekend mechanic.
- Durable construction.
- One customer complained that it’s not as powerful as he thought.
- A bit difficult to use for composite manufacturing.
Summary of Customer Reviews:
Customers have given the Zeny some of the best vacuum pump reviews online. One customer said it offers great value for your money. The reviewer said he was not looking for an expensive, heavy duty vacuum pump, and this fit the bill. He even showed pictures of how he uses it.
Another happy customer gave the Zeny 5 stars for its reliability. He even posted a video showing how the vacuum pump works for him. After reading the reviews and making my own assessment, I have to say this is as good as advertised.
5. Robinair (15310) VacuMaster Single Stage Vacuum Pump – Single-Stage, 3 CFM
Another Robinair makes our list. This is a single stage pump but its 3 CFM and high capacity allows you to use this in different applications. I also like the oil drain valve because its position allows for efficient draining. Adding oil is easy. It’s also durable but light. By and large, it’s clear Robinair has another winner here.
- Single-stage design.
- 3 CFM free air displacement.
- 1/4″ flare & 1/2″ ACME intake ports.
- 115 microns ultimate vacuum.
- Voltage: 110V.
- Well-designed aluminum alloy casing.
- Comes with vacuum oil.
- Good for pumping 80 microns.
- Easy to operate.
- Very good for AC maintenance.
- Makes some noise when running.
- Not suitable for automotive repair.
Summary of Customer Reviews:
The reviews are in its favor. One reviewer said it is working as well as he thought. The reviewer said it fixed his AC. Another one said this vacuum pump makes oil filling easy. Another reviewer said this is exactly what he was looking for.
Among the best vacuum pump reviews have been from new users. Almost all of them agree this vacuum pump is a cost effective purchase. There are a few negative reviews. But most of the people who have bought this product say they are happy with its performance and that it is versatile.
How to Use a Bench Grinder
- Turn on your bench grinder. Wait until the tool attains maximum speed.
- Stand in front of the bench grinder.
- Hold the metal. After putting it on a tool rest, push in the direction of the bench grinder.
- Stop when it reaches the edge. Don’t let the metal make contact with the grinder’s sides.
- To grind a metal, move the piece back and forth until the desired metal part disappears. Don’t hold the piece too long in one place because it could overheat and get damaged.
- To cut a metal: grab the metal. Rotate it until the bench grinder touches the part you want cut. Keep turning until the desired piece is broken off.
- To shape a metal: set the part of the metal you want shaped against the bench grinder. With a back and forth movement, grind until you get the desired shape.When the metal turns orange, pull the metal away. Bend the metal with your hands into the shape you want.
- To cool the metal, dip it in water. Make sure your face is nowhere near the bucket of water. This prevents the steam produced by the metal from striking you.
Accessories of Vacuum pump
Robinair 13203 Premium High Vacuum Pump Oil - 1 Quart
The oil works with majority of vacuum pumps. Because of its low moisture content you’ll be able to use your system for longer periods of time without having to worry about overheating. The oil is also of premium quality and better than the typical one bundled with vacuum pumps.
Mityvac MITMV8500 Silverline Elite Automotive Vacuum Pump Kit
If you’re a weekend mechanic you’ll love this. The pump is easy to operate and comes with tubing, adapters, reservoir jar and all the other items you’ll need. If you have to do a lot of work with your vacuum pump, this will help.
Robinair (30060) 1/4" Standard Hoses with Standard Fittings Set
These hoses come in three colors and are built for long term use and dependability. It is designed for up to 2500 burst pressure and 500 PSI working pressure, indicative of its quality. This is ideal for mechanics’ work.
FJC 6014 Vacuum Pump Adapter
You can’t do much with your vacuum if it doesn’t have a good adapter. The male measures ½” acme and ¼ inch flare female, and the design allows you to use it for a variety of automotive vacuum pump services.
FJC 6015 R134A Refrigerant Tank Adapter
This is a ½ acme female ¼ inch make flare that you can use to link up your R12 hose to the refrigerant tank. It’s also If you do a lot of repair work on your car and an AC compressor, this is going to be an indispensable tool for mechanics and DIYers.
Mountain 8205 R-134a Brass Manifold Gauge Set with Couplers
This is ideal for automotive 134a work, and the set comes with all the tools you need. A zeroing screw is included, and the automated couplers make your work a lot easier. The crimps are also durable so it should hold up well.
Safety & Maintenance Tips
- Read the manual before operating.
- Make sure all the switches and electrical cords are free from defects.
- Don’t use vacuum pumps in areas where excess heat can build up.
- Don’t use the vacuum pump near combustible materials like cardboards, papers etc.
- For the best results, replace worn out tubing.
- Use only solvents that are compatible with the vacuum pump.
- If the vacuum pump doesn’t have an oil drip tray, place one under the unit.
- Check the oil level on a consistent basis. Replace the oil when it’s needed.
- Always dispose of used oil properly as it is considered waste material.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why doesn’t my vacuum pump reach maximum level?
Answer: There are many possible reasons, but the most likely is there is an air leak.
2. What does absolute vacuum gauge mean?
Answer: This is used for vacuum system measurement without factoring the barometric pressure.
3. What’s the gas ballast for?
Answer: This is a vacuum pump feature for vapor pumping.
4. Why is my vacuum pumping too slowly?
Answer: The intake port is filled with dirt. The dirt trap has to be cleaned and the dust filter is properly installed. There might also be problems with the other components that need to be checked right away.
5. Why does the pressure rise so quickly after I turn the vacuum pump off?
Answer: It is probably because the vacuum pump has a leak. Another possible reason is one of the back valves is malfunctioning and needs to be replaced.
I give the nod to the Robinair (15500) VacuMaster Economy Vacuum Pump and the FJC 6912 Vacuum Pump 5.0 Cfm. I like the FJC because it’s quiet and has very good specs. The fact that it is used by HVAC specs says a lot about its quality. I can also say the Robinair is just as effective. With its 1/3 HP, it’s good for a wide range of services.
So which of the two is better? They’re both of the highest quality and you’ll get your money’s worth with both. Whether it is AC work, etc. they’ll get the job done.
If you’ve never used a vacuum pump before, you probably have no idea what it’s for. But as I’ve shown here, vacuum pumps have a lot of functions. From HVACs to engines and so on, you can use them in different ways. However, it will only be effective if you have the right vacuum pump.
If you’re looking for the best vacuum pump, I am confident the reviews above can help. I know what it’s like to end up with a poorly made vacuum pump. But if you’re informed and don’t settle for second best, you’ll get the maximum value for your money.