We know a table saw is an important tool in shaping woods for certain purposes. It`s very crucial to know the instructions of using a table saw because it can be little dangerous if you don’t follow the instructions properly. First of all, you need to use ear protection, eye protection. The dress should be tight for any kind of working like wood working, mechanics etc. There is a power button on the side of you surrounded with a round cable. Either you can switch on with your finger or with your need through the large cable.
Steps to be followed in using a table saw
Before you do anything with the blade for operation, make sure that everything is unplugged.
Place a steel ruler beside the blade. Measure the distance between the blade and the minor slot’s top and bottom point. Make sure the blade and minor slot are parallel to one another.
Now check whether the fence is absolutely parallel to the minor slot or not. If not, make it absolutely parallel to the minor slot as it is adjustable.
Maintain a right angle between the blade and the board. Make sure your blade is absolutely ninety degrees. You can use a worth square to measure the angle. It will ease your work by cutting the wood piece with no difficulty.
Board or cut woods should not be used for cutting. Because this may bring danger as it moves right and left while cutting. The piece of wood should be flat and straight.
Make sure that you measure the distance between the minor slot and blade properly. Don’t use your bare hand to cut the wood with the assist of the table saw. You can use gripper to do that.
Sometimes some table saw comes with pushing stick. Don’t use your finger to do this job.
Now place the wood piece between the blade and fence for a trial. The wood gets cut between the distance of blade and fence. This is the kickback area.
You must place the wood where the kick back occurs. You must use a push stick while cutting woods.
Sometimes table saw comes with a raven knife or blade guard to protect you from danger. Use it to have the proper cut. The blade guards have anti kick back poles.
If the guard is in good condition and wood is not getting trough the saw, there`s a recommendation for using this guard.
Now you should set the height of the blade to a convenient high for the wood you want to use.
Next position the fence to the blade according to the size of wood. Now switch on the power button to get started.
Now you can use minor gate for cross cuts. The fence should be placed far away enough so that the piece of wood after cutting it couldn’t bind the fence.
6 things to get you started using table saw
Maybe you find a table saw a bit daunting initially, but in reality, it isn’t like so. I am going to mention some points that would get you out of this fear. If you know the things well, you will find it very user-friendly product.
1. Trust your gut:
Just before you start using a table saw, you need a proper mind-set. If you feel anxiety or you’re uncomfortable of using a table saw, you can find some ways to make yourself out of this condition. There are many people using table saw for years. Make yourself prepare by trusting your gut.
2. Imagine your cuts:
You need to plan how you would position yourself while cutting the wood. Don’t do without any plan of the whole process. A sketch where you will stand, how you’ll do the job, where your hands will be etc. Otherwise, you may fell in awkward situations while doing the job.
- There’re many varieties of blade available in the market. You can buy 32 teeth or 50 teeth for general purpose. You can easily setup the blade with the help of the arrows on it. Then fix it right in the center where it belongs. With a nut, you can stick it off.
- After setting up the blade, you must setup the raven knife. Fix it just in front of the blade.
- Next place the insert plate at the top of the table.
- You can also install kickback pro for more protection with the raven knife.
According to some analyst, most of the injuries caused by table saw because of kickback. If there is no careful inspection of kickback, it may cause injuries. There are some ways to protect you from this:
- Using a raven knife. It will not allow woods to touch the weird side of the blade.
- One more option is using splitters. These splitters are inserted into the plate to keep the wood separated from the blade while the blade makes the cut.
You can also use the fence for the cut. Don’t stand directly behind the blade, it may hurt you. Stand a little bit side of the blade.
5. Rip cuts:
There’re many table saw available in the market. An inexpensive table saw can make a great sort of work. One advice is taking the one which have a flexible fence so that you can do the work very comfortably.
6. Cross cuts:
Cross cuts may be defined as cutting a big piece of wood into many smaller ones. Table saw may offer you minor gate. Set it up through one of the minor gates. Now attach a wood piece into it and make a cut from the blade. You can also hold the minor gate with your hand away from the blade and easily get the wood cut.
How to setup the minor gate:
- Attach a long piece of wood to the minor gate with screws.
- Now attach a short piece of wood to it.
- Then with the blank space, we can have the cuts needed.
Some more tips on using table saw
- Don’t put on any jewelry while using the table saw because they can be pulled in by the blade while cutting.
- Maintain a comparatively lower altitude of the blade because it’s less risky than higher heights.
- In the beginning of cutting the wood, let the blade attain a very high pace.
How to select the blades
There are varieties of blades for a table saw. People may feel confusion while selecting a blade for the table saw. Here’re some suggestion to bring you out of this confusion:
1. Ripping blade:
- This blade is employed for normal woods for ripping, cutting.
- It generally has 24 teeth or exception can be made with 30 teeth.
- The big teeth make the fiber out of the wood while rotating.
- If you want to make the fiber out of the wood, you can go for the 24 teeth ripping blade.
Freud LU87R010 10-Inch 24-Tooth FTG Thin Kerf Ripping Saw Blade with 5/8-Inch Arbor and PermaShield Coating
2. Cross-cut Blade:
- The specialty of this blade that it has many teeth about 60-90 teeth.
- As you want cross-cuts, it needs more accurate cuts. So you can use this blade.
Freud D1080X Diablo 10-Inch 80-tooth ATB Finish Saw Blade with 5/8-Inch Arbor and PermaShield Coating
3. Combination or General purpose Blade:
- It’s a combination of the features of both ripping and cross-cut blades.
- It is suitable for you if you want to make things without changing the blade or some people may feel rough to change the blades.
- It doesn't do too good ripping or cross-cuts, but it does a good work.
Freud D1050X Diablo 10-Inch 50-tooth ATB Combination Saw Blade with 5/8-Inch Arbor and PermaShield Coating
4. Composite or multi-purpose blade:
- This particular blade has 60 teeth for cutting more complex materials such as man-made materials.
- Woods like plywood may have more layers of wood within it.
- If you want to work with a lot of plywood materials probably you are looking for this blade.
A table saw is not anymore a frightening tool anymore I hope. If you know the basics the table saw become a handy tool to use. Just you have to learn the operation of table saw properly. We hope that this article would be a helpful one for you to become very familiar with the table saw.